The Roles of The Chamber
- The Chamber is located in a convenient high profile area for both visitors as well as residents. It is open year-round with an Executive Director and an assistant who handle all requests for information in a knowledgeable and enthusiastic manner.
- The Chamber often serves as the first point of contact for persons or corporations interested in establishing or relocating a business to the Indian River area.
- The Chamber provides a point of contact for customer complaints and concerns. We address these issues by ensuring each situation is treated courteously and professionally. The goal is always to ensure the person lodging the complaint is left with a positive feeling about the Indian River Business Community. The Chamber also notifies the business involved for the purpose of allowing that business to deal with the situation as deemed appropriate.
- The Chamber provides affordable cooperative advertising opportunities. The advertising is distributed through mailings, the local chamber, welcome centers, other chambers, local and downstate events, area businesses, and through the Chamber Membership Directory and Vacation Planner.
- The Chamber provides educational programs and guest speakers.
- The Chamber hosts two major events each year designed to bring consumers into our shopping area – SummerFest and Christmas Craft Show. The Chamber also organizes and coordinates the 4th of July Parade.
- The Chamber helped develop, establish and support a low interest rate program on storefront renovation/improvement loans.
- The Chamber has a working arrangement with the Indian River Tourism Bureau.
- The Chamber provides a unified voice for members on issues covering business at the township, county and state level.
- Through a cooperative program with the Cheboygan and Indian River Chambers, the Michigan Small Business Technology Development Center (SBTDC) offers business consultation services. The purpose of the SBTDC is to identify existing and emerging business in Cheboygan County, and to provide them with the essential leadership skills to plan for and respond to future economic opportunities and challenges.
- The Chamber is extremely supportive of the Township’s continued efforts toward establishing an affordable sewer and wastewater treatment facility.
- The Chamber plays an active part in the Downtown Development Authority. The basic purpose of the authority is to stabilize and expand property values and to encourage job creation and job retention through economic growth in the Authority District.
- The Indian River Snowmobile Club and the Indian River Chamber of Commerce continue to work together towards developing a safe, profitable and traffic-friendly snowmobile trail through Indian River.
To learn more, check out our Membership Information Packet